st. johns launching quarterly art events
North Portland, the “Peninsula”, and St. Johns in particular, is home to talented artists and a burgeoning art scene, and it’s time to celebrate the creative spirit of the neighborhood! On June 2nd, St. Johns launches a two-day art event that will consist of a Friday night Art Walk and Saturday Art Constitutional. With these quarterly events, we hope to 1.) increase access to and appreciation of the arts; 2.) support and strengthen the artist community in St. Johns and North Portland; 3.) engage the St. Johns business community; 4.) celebrate the diverse cultural communities in North Portland and; 5.) build community by facilitating conversations and connections.
During Friday’s Art Walk, we will pair an artist with selected St. Johns businesses to serve as mini-galleries and we’re looking for artists! As a participant in our first event, you will be a trailblazer and we will look to you to provide feedback on what worked, what didn’t, and how we can keep improving!
Who we’re looking for:
- Local artists (st. Johns/North Portland preferable, Portland generally)
- Any medium
Art Walk Schedule:
6:00-8:00pm: Businesses and galleries are open along N. Lombard
7:30pm-10:00pm: Cathedral Park Place gallery opening with live music
Details/Expectations of Participation
- We will work to pair a business with artist that will yield a successful experience for both parties. Therefore, we ask you send in an application and photos of your work. We may not select your work for this event, but will keep your application and information on file and will contact you for the next event.
- Artists are expected to be present during Friday’s Art Walk from 6-8pm
- Artists will be primarily responsible for installing/setting up display for artwork. The organizing committee will work to pair businesses and artists together that complement aesthetics and expertise.
- Artwork must be displayed throughout the weekend. Artists and business owners can coordinate the best time to remove artwork from storefront, or discuss the option for some artwork to remain in the store.
- We leave it up to the business and artist to determine whether or not wine/snacks will be available.