St. Johns Farmers Market
Saturdays 9AM-2PM | May 20th through October 28th
St. Johns Plaza (N. Lombard and N. Philadelphia)
MISSION & VALUES
The St. Johns Farmers Market (SJFM) supports a local, sustainable food supply while providing opportunity for emerging farmers, contributing to the health of all local residents, encouraging cross-cultural connections and dialogue, and enhancing the community and business vitality of St. Johns. SJFM is a program of St. Johns Center for Opportunity (SJCO).
Our values as a Farmers Market include:
- Fresh & Local Food: we value providing our community with fresh and healthy foods sourced from their local economy.
- Entrepreneurship: we want to support our local farmers and business owners and help them succeed.
- Collaboration: we love partnering with our vendors and other community organizations to offer great programming and promotional opportunities throughout the season.
- Diversity & Inclusion: we are intentional about creating an environment that is diverse and welcoming to all people and cultures. We also love welcoming dogs at the market!
- Active Listening: we are constantly listening to feedback from our vendors and community members and incorporating their ideas when appropriate.
The St Johns/Lombard Plan, adopted by Portland City Council in June 2004, identified a need for a farmers market in the St Johns town center as part of a larger economic development strategy. The plan called for the St Johns Neighborhood Association, along with the St Johns Business Boosters and the Portland Bureau of Planning, to implement a farmers’ market strategy over the next five years.
In early 2008, the Chair of St Johns Neighborhood Association began exploring the idea of a farmers market with local residents during a series of neighborhood meetings. The St. Johns Farmers Market (SJFM) was founded by these dedicated residents who recognized a need for access to fresh, local produce in the community. These people, with the support of the St. Johns Neighborhood Association, worked diligently to create a farmers market that supported the area’s “emerging farmers, contributes to the health of all local residents, encourages cross-cultural connections and dialogue, and enhances the community and business vitality of St. Johns.”
With a deeply rooted vision and passion, these neighbors formed the Market’s first Board of Directors in the fall of 2009. With nonprofit status under North Portland Community Works (NPCW), grants from North Portland Neighborhood Services (NPNS) and Metro and generous donations from the local community, a committed Board, along with many volunteers, set to work developing the infrastructure for the Market. By late 2009, the SJFM hired its first Market Manager and began planning for its inaugural season. The SJFM kicked off its first market season on July 11th, 2009. Over 3,000 people turned out to support the Market and many farmers sold out of produce within two hours.
The St. Johns Farmers Market is an inspiring example of what neighbors with a shared vision can accomplish together. We thank all those with the vision and dedication to make the SJFM a reality and all those who continue to make it a success!