Library Access Services Assistant (On-call Only)
Multnomah County Library is currently hiring on-call Access Services Assistants. In this position, you are responsible for maintaining access to our collection. You will empty book drops and check in materials. You will quickly and accurately receive, process, sort, and shelve materials, as well as maintain shelf order by shelf reading or shifting the collection as needed or assigned. You will assist our diverse patron population by locating holds and missing items.
You will help patrons understand and use library operations and services while demonstrating a proactive, welcoming and helpful demeanor. You will seek to resolve internal and external customer needs by providing positive solutions or appropriate, timely referrals. You will answer access services, informational, and directional questions, and for more difficult or complicated inquiries and questions, provide positive and timely referrals to appropriate staff. You will work under well established standards, policies or procedures, and typically receive detailed instruction or technical assistance when encountering changes or exceptions.
Some of your duties may include:
- Provide account management assistance, including clearly explaining account management policy and procedures to patrons.
- Assist patrons with balances due, including accepting payment, providing positive options, and negotiating and waiving charges when appropriate.
- Use standard computer technology effectively and continually seek to learn and incorporate new technologies and best practices into work assignments.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and teach internal and external customers how to use equipment such as computers, copiers, print management, internet management, check-out stations, credit card payment machines,and cash registers.
- Prepare meeting rooms or other designated areas for programs.
- Open and/or close a library location, including turning equipment on or off, ensuring the location is organized and safe for operations.
This is a physically demanding position, so you can understand when we say this might not be the right job for everyone. You will frequently lift and move items such as crates and stacks of books. You may also set up tables, chairs, computer and audiovisual equipment for programs and meetings. You must be able to work in a standing position for extended periods, kneel, reach, bend, and constantly grasp and lift materials from one to 15 pounds (and frequently lift 35 to 50 pounds).
This recruitment will be used to fill on-call positions only. As an on-call Access Services Assistant, you will have the opportunity to work in various locations, picking up shifts that work with your availability. The work is often intermittent and normally part-time. The days and hours available will be based on the staffing needs of our locations, and may include some same-day needs. There is no guarantee of hours, but it is highly likely there will be shifts available when you are. These positions do not offer benefits or union representation.
We will consider any combination of relevant work experience, volunteering, education, and transferable skills as qualifying unless an item or section is labeled required. Please be clear and specific about how your background is relevant. For details about how we typically screen applications, review our overview of the selection process page.
Required Minimum Qualifications/Transferable Skills*:
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
- One year of general clerical experience involving public contact.
- Ability to attend a three day New Employee Orientation (usually Tuesday-Thursday, 8:00am - 5:00pm).
- Ability to attend a 40 hour training (Monday-Friday, 9:00 am - 6:00 pm).
- Ability to pick up at least one shift per pay period (two shifts a month).
- Ability to pass a criminal records check.