Position Title: Meat Cutter - Lead
Department: Meat and Seafood
Supervisory Responsibility: Not responsible for supervising others.
Reports To: Meat and Seafood Manager
Region: Oregon/SW Washington
Pay Grade 6 | Non-exempt
Position Description: Processes all cuts of beef, lamb and pork products and is responsible for ordering and maintaining production schedule. Provides exceptional customer service and contributes to a positive and collaborative team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to a positive and supportive work environment.
- Demonstrates an adaptable and flexible work style, shifting tasks as priorities and circumstances change.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of department.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as cooperatively within a team.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner. Responds to feedback in order to improve performance.
- Understands and follows through on verbal and written directions.
- Speaks up. Shares ideas and feedback that contributes to success of store and company.
- Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with company Vision, Mission and Values and sustainability program.
- Observes all company rules and policies.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Engages the customer in a friendly manner, shares product information and assists in locating product throughout the store. Seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the customer experience.
- Adapts service based on customer needs, handles difficult customer situations and seeks solutions to delight the customer.
Position Specific Functions
- Orders meat products according to anticipated sales and seasonal needs. Maintains appropriate inventory levels to achieve sales and margin goals.
- Maintains awareness of current ads, promotions, holidays and events. Plans for weekly ads, events and holidays using tools and reports. Works with Meat and Seafood Manager to understand and respond to current store trends.
- Assesses and adjusts production needs based on sales and is responsible for production schedule. Maintains production levels and updates production guide.
- Guides the work of back up meat cutters, including planning and assigning work, ensuring quality standards, training staff and overseeing their productivity.
- Partners with department management team to maintain excellent department conditions, including appearance, cleanliness, signage, staffing and service levels.
- Ensures all Meat and Seafood items are cut, trimmed and processed to company standards.
- Maintains professional vendor relationships.
- Processes, cuts and trims meat products to company standards.
- Stocks and maintains meat cases.
- Prepares, wraps, weighs, tares, prices and presents Meat and Seafood department products.
- Assists customers with product selection. Shares product knowledge with customers. Makes recommendations and suggestions based on customer needs.
- Completes customer special orders thoroughly and provides follow-through as needed.
- Receives and unloads merchandise; checks quality, count and condition. Communicates any issues to management and merchandising team.
- Stocks and rotates products with attention to product quality and expiration dates.
- Maintains accurate pricing and signage that meet merchandising standards.
- Demonstrates familiarity with products in department, including terminology, cuts, recommended product uses, vendor/supplier information and product labeling, with ability to continue learning.
- Follows company procedures for processing invoices, transfers and credits.
- Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Maintains the organization, rotation and cleanliness of back stock areas.
- May participate in other activities, such as inventories, scheduling and performance reviews.
- Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates an awareness of trends in the industry.
Required Permits and Licenses: Food Handler’s card and ServSafe certification
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
- Performs janitorial tasks in compliance with sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments. Contributes to store cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment, informs store/department management of any problems.
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
- Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: knives, slicer, band saw, blast chiller, smoker, sausage pump, scale, heat wrapper, temp gun, grinder, cuber, cart, hand truck, baler, industrial food processor, mixers, dishwasher, pallet jack, office equipment, and computer
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in food and cooking.
- Previous meat cutting or production experience and strong knife skills required. Experience working in a high-volume environment preferred.
- Retail or customer service experience preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Previous ordering/inventory management experience required.
- Knowledge of meat products and familiarity with cooking/preparation techniques required.
- Basic math and computation skills required.
- Basic computer proficiency required.
- Skills to plan, prioritize and delegate work.
- Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a retail environment.
- Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers, supervisors and customers.
- Skills to manage difficult customer interactions required.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to company attendance policy.
- Heavy work level
- Continuously required to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting seldom required.
- Continuously required to: lift and carry 1-20 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; bend/stoop; twist; push and/or pull 1-80 pounds
- Seldom required to: crouch/squat
- Frequency of climbing stairs and ladders dependent on location
- Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts; may include vibration
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on location. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.