ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. Successfully performs work as an individual, as a member of a single craft, or multi-craft work crew. Performs work with minimal supervision.
1. Complies with craft and shipyard safety and environmental measures
2. Performs sandblast and painting duties.
3. Individually, and as a member of a work crew, blasts coatings off ship hull and tanks to prepare steel surfaces for painting.
4. Tends paint pot and paint equipment.
5. Operates shot blasting booth in shop.
6. Primes and color coats parts in paint booth.
7. Successfully completes sustained work at various heights, including but not limited to, 100 feet.
8. Proper cares and safely uses of hand and power tools and all company property.
9. Prepares surfaces for painting: cleaning and masking.
10. Sets up and operates painting equipment: airless, conventional, brush and roller.
11. Applies epoxy, enamel and industrial coatings.
12. Maintains painting equipment: hoses, pumps, pressure tanks, spray guns and tips.
13. Knowledge of SSPC (Structural Steel Painting Council) specifications.
14. Sets up and operates sandblasting equipment: pot tending.
15. Maintains sandblasting equipment: hoses, nozzles, and gaskets: electric and air.
ESSENTIAL SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Incumbent performs similar work in all areas of the Yard as the need arises.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND/OR KNOWLEDGE:
1. Communicates effectively independently or in a group.
2. Ability to do basic math, i.e. add, subtract, divide and multiply.
3. Ability to read, write, speak, and comprehend English.
4. Shipyard terminology and shipboard familiarity.
5. Proper care and use of respirators and identification of type required for operation.
High School diploma or GED preferred. Two years industrial painting and/or blasting work experience. Proven skills, work history and/or applicable education will be considered in lieu of work experience.
Proficient in both Fire Watch and Associate 1 job duties. Trains and assists with erecting and dismantling staging. Assists with and/or performs basic pipe bolting under the direction of a Journey Level employee or Supervisor. May perform Associate 1 or Fire Watch duties. Must acquire three (3) additional Ship Repair Skills to progress to the next level.
Proficient in Fire Watch, Associate 1 and Associate 2 job duties. Trains and assists with rigging under the direction of a Journey Level employee or Supervisor. Assists with and/or performs mechanical bolting under the direction of a Journey Level employee or Supervisor. May perform Fire Watch, Associate 1 or Associate 2 duties. Must acquire three (3) additional Ship Repair Skills to progress to the next level.
Associate 4 (noted in payroll as AS35)
Proficient in Fire Watch, Associate 1, Associate 2, and Associate 3 job duties. Requires general supervision during performance of primary skill, but is able to perform job duties of A-1 through A-3 with limited supervision. (work history and demonstrated proficiency in single skill or trade). Must acquire three (3) additional Ship Repair Skills and 1- certification to progress to the next level.
ESSENTIAL CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
HAZWOPER- First Responder Awareness Level
Four hour fire watch certification, must be obtained within 30 days of hire
Two hour course in pot tending safety
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Painter must transfer tools (deck scaler, scaling hammer, needle gun) to/from area of need. Requires vertically transferring tools (deck scaler, scaling hammer, needle gun) weighing up to (15 lbs.) from (4”) to (76”), up to 20/hr.).
2. Painter must transfer 2 gallon bucket of paint to/from area of need. Requires vertically/horizontally transferring 2 gallon bucket of paint weighing up to (30 lbs.) from (12”) to (60”), up to (2/hr.), a distance of up to (40 feet) without mechanical assistance.
3. Painter must transfer 5 gallon bucket of paint to/from area of need. Requires vertically/horizontally transferring 5 gallon bucket of paint weighing up to (55 lbs.) from (18”) to (36”), up to (10/hr.), a distance of up to (20 feet) without mechanical assistance.
4. Painter must transfer 5 gallon bucket of AF paint to/from area of need. Requires vertically/horizontally transferring 5 gallon bucket of AF paint weighing up to (95 lbs.) from (18”) to (36”), up to (10/hr.), a distance of up to (20 feet) without mechanical assistance.
5. Painter must layout dry dock electrical blast hoses, bull air lines. Must horizontally transfer dry dock electrical blast hoses, bull air lines requiring a force up to (80 lbs.), up to (1/hr.), a distance up to (150 ft.).
6. Painter must lower/raise 5 gallon bucket of paint in/out of area of need. Requires upper body forces up to (55 lbs.), up to (20/hr.).
7. Painter must operate sandblasting gun, power tools such as deck grinder, needle gun requiring coupling forces up to (20 lbs.), up to (15/hr.).
8. Painter must access tanks, scaffolding, job locations. Requires climbing ladder up to 100 rungs/hr. in (8 hr.).
9. Painter must access vessels, job locations. Requires climbing stairs up to 100 steps/hr. in (8 hr.).
10. Painter must access tanks, bilge areas. Must access spaces with specific entries (15”) x (21”).
11. Painter must access work locations; works off JLG, scaffolding. Must tolerate heights up to (100 ft.).
12. Painter must access double bottom, bilge areas. Must work in spaces with limited headroom of (36 in.).
13. Painter must prepare, mask off surfaces for painting. Requires repetitive assumption of posture to access a point (1 inches) from the floor up to (60/hr.).
14. Painter must stand to perform painting and sandblasting duties. Requires tolerance of standing posture up to (2 hr.) continuously, for a total of up to (7 hr.) per (8 hr.).
15. Painter must tolerate working environment with inside ambient temperatures.
16. Painter must tolerate working environment with outside temperatures.
17. Painter requires (near/far/depth/color) vision to perform painting and sandblasting duties.
18. Painter must access sandblasting/paint booths, shops, vessels, work locations. Requires walking up to (3.0 mi.), in (8 hr.).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL USE OF SENSES
Talking, Hearing, Vision, Near Acuity (clarity of vision at 20 inches or less), Far Acuity (clarity of vision at 20 feet of more), Depth Perception (three-dimensional vision to judge distance and spatial relationships), Color Vision (if required to distinguish colors for job performance or safety), Field of Vision (if required to observe a large field of vision while keeping eye fixed on a given point for job performance or safety), and Smell.
ESSENTIAL MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Interaction/communication with others: Communicates with others on site to ensure safety/coordinate work efforts.
2. Works alone/independently: Frequently- Works in pairs.
3. Directs/supervises others: Not Required.
4. Repetitive work: Work consists of performing similar painting related tasks throughout the day.
5. Attention to detail: Surface preparation and color choices must be accurate.
6. Flexibility: Priorities changed during the day.
ESSENTIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
1. Works indoors: Frequently
2. Works outdoors: Continually
3. Other Exposures: May be exposed to paints, sand, petroleum, upper extremity vibration (sustained and repeated) with hoses, paint thinners, free silica, asbestos, epoxy, dust, and heights.
4. Safety equipment required: Wears hard hat, respirator, gloves, hearing protection, fall restraint and eye protection. Must wear long sleeved clothing and leather boots with steel safety toes.
5. Operation of equipment/tools/vehicles: Uses hoses, high-lift, shovel, ladder, scaffolding, high pressure water wash, 100 to 600 pound pressure pots, hydro pumps, brushes, rollers, 1-1/4 inch blast hose, blast nozzle, air fed respirators/blast hoods, forklift, sandblast hoppers, vacuum units, D.H. (full face respirator) units, and air mixers (drill motors).
6. Required hygiene standards: Per company standards.
How to Apply: Submit an application online here