Vigor builds fishing boats, tugs, ferries, barges, fireboats, high performance combatant crafts and a variety of aluminum workboats in Portland, Oregon.
Prepares parts for blasting by performing inspection for oil, grease or other contaminants. Operates sandblasting equipment to apply various abrasives to clean, remove corrosion or other contaminants on materials. May operate blasting equipment in booth or walk-in cabinet. Ensures materials meet work order requirements. Responsible for using a variety of tools to both prepare a surface for painting and for painting the objects’ surface. Objects painted are complex large steel structures such as tanks, pipes, and multi-surfaced plates and objects. The painter must plan out the job to assure complete surface coverage at the level of thickness designated in the job specifications and using approved SSPC (Society for Protective Coatings) standards.
Successfully performs work as an individual, as a member of a single craft, or multi-craft work crew. Performs work with minimal supervision safely and efficiently. Other duties may be assigned.
Live and exemplify the Vigor Values within self and team.
1. Performs sandblast and other surface preparation painting duties.
2. Individually, and as a member of a work crew, blasts coatings off ship hull and tanks to prepare steel surfaces for painting.
3. Works well within the assigned work crew, supervision and subcontractors.
4. Tends paint pot and paint equipment.
5. Operates and maintains water and sandblasting equipment.
6. Successfully completes sustained work at various heights, including but not limited to, 100 feet.
7. Successfully completes sustained work in confined spaces.
8. Sets up and operates painting equipment: airless, conventional, brush and roller.
9. Applies epoxy, enamel and other industrial coatings.
10. Maintains painting equipment: hoses, pumps, pressure tanks, spray guns and tips.
11. Sets up and operates sandblasting equipment: pot tending.
12. Maintains sandblasting equipment: hoses, nozzles, and gaskets: low voltage electric and air.
13. Knowledge of SSPC (Society of Protective Coatings) specifications.
14. Properly cares for and safely uses hand, power tools and all company property, including rental property. Efficiently prepares surfaces for painting: cleaning and masking.
15. May operate high lift and forklift.
16. Demonstrates and complies with craft and shipyard safety and environmental measures.
17. Works well within the assigned work crew, supervision and subcontractors.
18. Adheres to company policies, procedures and works drug and alcohol free.
19. Follows the Vigor Industrial Code.
Education and Experience Requirements
High School diploma or GED preferred. Two years relevant work experience. Proven skills, work history and/or applicable education will be considered in lieu of work experience.
To APPLY ONLINE and see the full job description, click here